An Innovative Dance and Language Study Abroad Experience
About DanceAbroad Argentina
Dean College partners with DanceAbroad Argentina in a unique collaboration for dance students that blends intensive Spanish-language immersion and concentrated studies in dance in the vibrant capital of Argentina, Buenos Aires. Participating college dance majors from any college or university will earn up to 15 college credits during this collaborative full-semester academic program. Courses include tango technique and its history, as well as ballet, modern dance, jazz, choreography and Spanish-language coursework at either the beginning, intermediate or advanced level.
DanceAbroad staff and students attend cultural events and participate in tours around the city of Buenos Aires and travel to other destinations in Argentina, as well as neighboring countries. These excursions are a great way for students to also experience the natural beauty of Argentina and beyond. Students live in private housing for international university students near the university and dance studios. Accommodations are equipped with kitchen facilities, and students will shop and cook on their own.
The DanceAbroad Argentina experience is offered as a two-week January intensive and a full semester program each spring.
- January Intensive: January 6 – 21, 2023
- Spring Semester Program: January 23 – May 20, 2023
The DanceAbroad Argentina January Intensive is a 2-week program, and students earn 3 academic credits.
The DanceAbroad Argentina Spring Semester program consists of a 15-credits.
- Spanish Language Course (4 credits): Precise course determined after placement testing upon arrival, ranging from beginning to advanced Spanish
- History of Tango (3 credits)
- Dance Technique (8 credits): ballet, modern, jazz, tango, dance composition/choreography, pointe,* partnering*
*Faculty approval needed
- Course-related trips within and outside of Buenos Aires are included as part of the program.
Housing and Food
- Private residential apartments for area international university students
- Shop/cook on your own
For current Dean College Students: Full Financial Aid Package will apply.
For other college students:
- Federal Financial Aid transferred via Consortium Agreement
- Additional institutional scholarships are available
Dean College will deposit board into your checking account for your food costs.
Airfare to/from Buenos Aires and personal spending/travel money are additional, and the responsibility of the student/family.
For more cost information, contact Melissa Read.
DanceAbroad Argentina is open to currently enrolled college students who:
- Are studying dance (majors, minors)
- Have completed at least 45 credits prior to participating in the program
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.000
- Are in good judicial standing
- Meet the minimum required dance competency level (Ballet 2, Modern Foundations 2, Jazz 2)
Passport and Visa Requirements
Passport and Visa requirements for the DanceAbroad Argentina program are as follows:
- Must have a current passport that will not expire before one year after your return date
- Tourist Visa, obtained as you enter the country
- Non-US citizens: check directly with the Argentinian Consulate regarding any additional visa requirements
- Complete application (form, short essay, faculty letter of recommendation, official transcript, Dean of Student report, scanned copy of U.S. passport). Non-Dean College students must also submit a Dean of Students report and a video of dance technique abilities.
- Submit your application no later than October 1 prior to your January or Spring Semester experience to Melissa Read, Assistant VP, Academic Affairs and Study Away Program Director.
- Pay program enrollment deposit of $1,000 by November 15 prior to your January or Spring Semester experience.
- Attend pre-departure orientation meeting to complete and sign all required pre-departure paperwork.
For more information about the DanceAbroad Argentina program, contact Melissa Read.