Do you love working with children? An Associate Degree or Certificate in Early Childhood Education from Dean College will prepare you for a rewarding career in teaching or child care.
Designed especially for working adults, this part-time program combines a strong academic foundation with practical experience in the Children’s Center, Dean’s on-campus, accredited preschool. All of our faculty members hold certification from the Massachusetts Office for Child Care Services/Department of Early Education and Care.
The mission of the Early Childhood Education program is to provide a theoretical and practical foundation for observing, understanding and meeting the diverse psychosocial development needs to the young child in the classroom.
Request more information about the associate degree in Early Childhood Education.
Below you will find a table of course numbers, course names and the credits required to earn an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit Required||Total Credits|
|ENG 111||Composition I||3|
|ENG 112||Composition II||3|
|SPC 101||Communication Fundamentals||3|
|Core Distribution||Mathematics Elective||3|
|Core Distribution||Lab Science Elective||4|
|Core Distribution||Arts Elective||3|
|Core Distribution||Humanities Elective||3|
|Core Distribution||Natural Science and Mathematics Elective||3|
|Core Distribution||Social Science Elective||3|
|EDU 111||Introduction to Early Childhood Education||3|
|EDU 130||Classroom Behavior Management||3|
|EDU 231||Curriculum for Young Children||3|
|EDU 280/281||Field Observation and Participation||3|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|EDU 251 or PSY 211||Child Growth and Development or Child Development||3|
|EDU 261||The Diverse Learner||3|
|PSY 240||Cognitive Psychology||3|
|EDU 285||Observation and Behavior||3|
|Elective (choose 2 at 3 credits each)||3|
Launch your career as a child care provider or teacher with the Early Childhood Education certificate at Dean College. This 12-credit certificate program fulfills the requirements for qualification from the Massachusetts Office for Childcare Services/Department of Early Education and Care.
Learn more about the Early Childhood Education certificate program at Dean College.
The certificate in Early Childhood Education is designed to provide students the perfect balance between practical and theoretical learning to prepare graduates for a career as a child care provider or for transfer to a baccalaureate program in education studies.
- Child Growth and Development
- Early Childhood Education Electives
The Early Childhood Education associate degree program at Dean is designed to provide you with a solid foundation of skills and knowledge in the fundamentals of childcare and education for young children.
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- Curriculum for Young Children
- Field Observation and Participation
- General Psychology
- Child Growth and Development
- Sociology of the Family
- Learning and Memory
- Children's Literature
Through the course of study, students will be provided an opportunity to learn how to:
- Objectively observe children's behavior and accurately record observations
- Clearly articulate the connections between child development theory and observed behavior
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of child development and be able to consistently apply this to their interactions with young children within the classroom
- Set up and adapt educational environments addressing diversity of children to meet their social, emotional, cognitive and physical needs
- Plan, implement then adapt developmental and active learning experiences, addressing diversity of children
- Develop collaborative relationships with families of children, essentially linking home and school
- A broad business foundation for a well-rounded and multi-faceted education.
- A holistic approach that utilizes case studies, traditional and real-world learning to keep up with trends and remain current with the today’s fast-moving world.
- The opportunity to interact with business leaders through cutting-edge partnerships through in-class and out of class experiences second to none.