The holidays are a time to be thankful, spread joy and give back to those in need. In these unprecedented times, it can be challenging to find a way to safely volunteer in your community. Read on for 5 ways you can spread cheer this season in a safe and impactful way.
- Purchase gifts for those in need. Each year members of the Dean College Community participate in the Giving Tree drive and purchase gifts for the Santa Foundation in Franklin, MA. The Santa Foundation provides gifts for families in need during the holiday season. Visit Today@Dean to view the Foundation’s Wishlist and for more information about how you can get involved virtually.
- Walk or run in a virtual race for charity. Stay active while helping a great cause! Organizations like Virtual Run Events and Virtual Strides host races for you to run or walk safely around your own neighborhood, with proceeds donated to local charities of your choice. Turn on your favorite playlist or podcast and get some fresh air with this fun way to give back.
- Support the Franklin Food Pantry. Help put a hot meal on a family in need’s plate this holiday season through the Franklin Food Pantry. The Franklin Food Pantry has an Amazon Wishlist for you to shop and have your gift directly shipped to the Pantry.
- Create a holiday card. While you are sending cards to family and friends this season, consider sending cards to your local nursing home, children’s hospital, or our Troops! Break out the markers and stickers to get creative for a fun crafty project. Send your cards to hospitalized children, your local nursing home, or our Troops through the United Soldiers and Sailors of America.
- Donate to help your four-legged friends. The purr-fect way to spread joy to your local animal shelter is by donating supplies like food, towels and toys. Most shelters have a wish list on their website with their most needed items. If you are able, you could also consider adopting or fostering a pet to prepare them for transition into their new fur-ever home and clear more space in the shelter for other animals in need.
Enjoy spreading joy by giving back this holiday season, Bulldogs!