Summer is a time of warm weather and relaxation. It is also the perfect time to advance your career! The Dean College Robbins Family Center for Advising and Career Planning has tips to help you stay focused and on track to achieving your goals this summer. Read on for tips to stay in the career mindset.
- Update your Professional Materials. Update your profile on DEAN CareerLink, Dean College's online database that connects employers with Dean students and alumni. Add summer experiences and internships to your resume by using the the Dean College Resume Template found in the document library of DEAN CareerLink. You should also update your profile on LinkedIn to make sure your headshot is professional and recent!
- Network with Professionals and Dean Alumni. Have you watched our Dean Alumni Career Panel? Hear from our recent graduates about what they have been up to since earning their degrees at Dean! Connecting with Dean Alumni on LinkedIn is also a great way to stay in touch with professionals and members of the Dean College Community. Also, watch our recent in career panel with academic partners in the Sport & Entertainment Industry.
- Grow your Industry and Disciplinary Knowledge. Search around on LinkedIn to discover many professional organizations related to your major to expand your knowledge of your field. Use the O*net to explore career options within your major. Still not sure about your career goals? Utilize Focus2 to dive into your likes and dislikes to see what careers will be a good fit. Visit DEAN CareerLink and explore the quick links on your home page, especially “What Can I Do With My Major.”
- Research Graduate Programs. Explore graduate or professional schools in your chosen profession and create a comparison chart of admission requirements, application materials, deadlines, etc. Keep an eye on Today@Dean for graduate school information sessions. Faculty, your Success & Career Advisor, and Career Planning are here to help and give you advice to see what program might be your best fit.
- Explore Internships. Internships are a fantastic way to gain experience in your field of interest. Apply for a summer internship through DEAN CareerLink or other search engines. Keep an eye on Today@Dean for information regarding internship plans.
- Engage with Community Service. Local communities need our help now more than ever! Volunteering is a great experience to add to your resume, and you never know when it will lead to an internship or job! Make masks for medical professionals or local community members. Make cards for hospitalized kids. Keep up with Community Service on Today@Dean for more ideas throughout the summer!
- Search for Employment Opportunities. Search for jobs in your area using DEAN CareerLink or other search engines. Practice for your virtual job interviews using tutorials on Today@Dean. Look for project based work on Parker Dewey, Upwork, or Freelancer.
Learn more about the Career and Success Advising at Dean.