Founded in 1865, Dean College is a private, residential college located in Franklin, Massachusetts offering bachelor’s and associate degree programs as well as a robust schedule of part-time continuing and professional education credit and certificate programs.
Recognized as a Top Regional College and a Best Value School by U.S. News & World Report, Dean serves approximately 1,200 full-time students and close to 400 part-time students and offers over 50 combined bachelor's and associate degree programs and specializations.
Dean's beautiful 100-acre campus is located only 30 miles from Boston, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island, and is accessible to Boston by commuter rail. The Dean College/Franklin station is only a five-minute walk from campus.
Dean provides a supportive academic environment that thrives on student engagement and exceptional teaching. The Dean Difference is exemplified through each student’s commitment to their professional futures, social responsibility and leadership.
Dean College Fast Facts
- Founded in 1865
- Fully accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
- 55% of Dean students are from outside Massachusetts, representing 19 countries and 36 states
- 78% of Dean students are in bachelor's degree programs while 22% are in associate degree programs
- Student to Faculty ratio: 18:1
- Average class size: 18
- Merit-based aid awarded by Dean College to students: $25 million
- 95% of students receive some form of financial assistance
- 90% of students live on campus
- 15 athletic teams
- Provisional members of the NCAA Division III membership.
- Dean College motto: "Forti et fideli nihil difficile"
- Dean College official mascot: Boomer
- More than 40 clubs and organizations on campus
- 24/7 campus safety services
- 98% of our associate degree students are accepted as transfer students in their bachelor’s degree program of choice
- 96% of our bachelor’s degree recipients are employed or enrolled in graduate school
- 100% of our bachelor’s degree students participate in at least one internship before graduation
- 95% of our bachelor’s degree recipients completed their program in four years
Growth of Dean
Dean College welcomed an incoming freshman class of 524 students in fall 2018, making it one of the largest incoming classes in the last 25 years.
Dean has completed $62M in campus improvements and new construction over the last 10 years, including:
- Dorothy and Glendon Horne '31 Hall (2013)
- Green Family Library Learning Commons
- Morton Family Learning Center
- Athletic field updates (press box, scoreboards, dugouts)
- Grant Field renovation
- Rooney Shaw Center for Innovation in Teaching