Every semester is full of exceptional occasions and beloved traditions, and Fall 2022 was no different. As we prepare to look ahead to the new year, here’s a look back on some of the highlights of the past semester:
- Matriculation Ceremony – Once our incoming first-year students moved into their residence halls and officially began their Dean experience, we marked the occasion by celebrating the Class of 2026 with a matriculation ceremony. Each student got the opportunity to shake hands with President Elmore and Chancellor Augustus, as well as pat the bronze bulldog statue, a tradition that will come full circle at the Class of 2026 Commencement Ceremony in four years.
- S. News Ranking – Dean College ranked among the Top 30 Best Regional Colleges North by U.S. News & World Report in its 2022-23 Best Colleges rankings. This is the 12th consecutive year that Dean College has placed on the Best Colleges list. Additionally, Dean’s ranking of No. 2 in the Best Regional Colleges North for Best Undergraduate Teaching is testament to its faculty’s commitment to an elevated learning experience.
- Installation Celebration – We officially welcomed President Kenneth Elmore as the 14th President of Dean College and Chancellor Edward M. Augustus, Jr. as the inaugural Chancellor. Starting with an afternoon salon featuring leaders in higher education and culminating in our annual Homecoming Weekend, the Installation Celebration spanned four days of events and activities to welcome in our new leadership. The main ceremony took place on October 14, 2022 and officially bestowed the authority of high office to President Elmore and Chancellor Augustus.
- Dean Leadership Institute Speakers – This fall, both Charles Steinberg, president of the Worcester Red Sox, and Governor Michael S. Dukakis, former three-term governor of Massachusetts and 1988 presidential nominee, joined us on campus to speak as part of the Dean Leadership Institute. Dr. Charles and Governor Dukakis shared their stories, wisdom and advice with our students.
- Giving Back – Giving back has always been a hallmark of who we are at Dean. Our Bulldogs donated food to the Franklin Food Pantry, filled a Dean College cruiser with toys to donate to the Santa Foundation, and more to give back to the greater Franklin community.
- Community Gatherings – We love a good celebration! From the Welcome Back BBQ and celebrations at President Elmore’s residence, to Homecoming Weekend and annual traditions like Thanksgiving dinner, we came together as a community all semester long.
- Student Accomplishments – Every day, our students go on to accomplish great things. This semester, History majors won a prestigious award, Sports Broadcasting students landed jobs with the Providence Bruins, dancers performed in The Nutcracker, and Business students pitched integrated marketing campaigns. Student-athletes gave their best on and off the field, cast members and dancers performed on campus and on the Dean College Stage at Patriot Place, and a number of students graduated this December. We’re so proud of all our Bulldogs!
What a semester it was! We can’t wait to see what Spring 2023 will bring.