Thank you for considering the performing arts programs at Dean College!
Dance and Theatre Audition Overview
Admission to the Dance or Theatre programs is based on the review of the applicant's academic credentials through the Dean College Online Application for Admission as well as a by means of a required audition in person.
The Dean College audition days are designed to give applicants the opportunity to be evaluated in a comprehensive manner, while also getting more familiar with the Dean campus as well as some of our faculty, and to obtain more information regarding the admissions process, degree tracks, departmental policies and more.
Students applying to degree programs in Dance or Theatre are required to complete an audition so that the applicant's ability to succeed within the demanding performance curriculum may be assessed. Prospective students must complete their application for admission prior to participating in an audition. Click here to apply now!
Based on their audition, students who are not accepted to a performing arts program may be admitted to Dean in another major and have the opportunity to re-audition during their freshman or sophomore year.
Students applying to the Technical Theatre program must submit a portfolio and students applying to Theatre Studies program must provide a writing supplement outlining their theatre background. These may be submitted in lieu of an audition. Please contact Joe Zumbo to explore these options.
Upcoming Audition Dates for 2018-19
- Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Sunday, November 11, 2018
- Saturday, December 8, 2018
- Saturday, February 9, 2019
- Saturday, March 2, 2019
- Saturday, March 30, 2019
Registration will open in August 2018.
To register for a Dance Audition and for a full-list of audition requirements, please click here.
To register for a Theatre Audition and for a full-list of audition requirements, please click here.
Faculty and staff will offer auditions at a variety of off campus locations throughout the year.
Additional details will be available by late August.
Alternative Audition Options
We recognize that it may not be possible for all students to attend an on-campus audition. While completion of the on-campus audition is an expectation for admission to Dean's programs, if this requirement, based on your distance from campus, imposes a hardship on you and your family based on your distance from campus.
Please contact Christy Parlon to explore alternative Dance options.
Please contact Joe Zumbo to explore alternative Theatre options.
Prepare for Auditions
Auditions are an important part of the admissions process for Dance or Theatre at Dean College. While the experience is professional, we want you to feel comfortable in order to be your best.
Get Yourself Organized
If you haven’t finished your application for admission, please do so as soon as possible. Review the information above and if you did not submit a photo and résumé to the Admissions Office, be sure to bring them to the audition. In addition, please complete the Audition and Liability Form below and bring it to the audition.
Theatre Audition Requirements
- Acting students will prepare two contrasting monologues of no more than two minutes each.
- Musical Theatre students should prepare a two-minute monologue and one musical selection (demonstrating vocal range) of no more than two minutes. Applicants must provide their own sheet music. Musical Theatre students will also participate in a dance class to demonstrate their proficiency in movement.
- Technical Theatre and Theatre Studies students should contact the School of the Arts at 508.541.1606 for information about required portfolio materials.
What to Wear
Candidates for Theatre
Theatre candidates should wear comfortable clothing to present their monologues and/or musical selections—no costumes.
Candidates for Dance
Candidates for Dance will need to pack a change of clothes for each of the dance routines.
Women should bring the following dance attire:
- For Ballet – black leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes.
- For Modern – black leotard, black footless tights, bare feet.
- For Jazz and Tap – jazz shoes/hip hop sneakers and tap shoes are required, solid color dance pants are allowed.
Men should bring the following dance attire:
- For Ballet – black leggings, white t-shirt, black slippers.
- For Modern – black leggings, white t shirt, bare feet.
- For Jazz and Tap - jazz shoes/hip hop sneakers and tap shoes are required, solid color dance pants are allowed, solid color t-shirt.
Be on Time
Audition check-in begins at 8:00 am at the Main Stage Kiosk in the Campus Center. Do not arrive too early and, of course, try not to be late. Review directions to the College and, if necessary, arrange for a hotel the night before.
If you have questions, please contact Christy Parlon, audition coordinator for the Schools of Dance and the Arts, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-541-1504.