Auditioning for Dance and Theatre Programs at Dean
Auditions at Dean College
Thank you for considering the performing arts programs at Dean College! Admission to the Dance or Theatre programs is based on the review of the applicant's academic credentials through the Dean College Online Application for Admission as well as a by means of a required audition in person.
The Dean College audition days are designed to give applicants the opportunity to be evaluated in a comprehensive manner, while also getting more familiar with the Dean campus as well as some of our faculty, and to obtain more information regarding the admissions process, degree tracks, departmental policies and more.
Students applying to degree programs in Dance or Theatre are required to complete an audition so that the applicant's ability to succeed within the demanding performance curriculum may be assessed. Prospective students must complete their application for admission prior to participating in an audition. Based on their audition, students who are not accepted to a performing arts program may be admitted to Dean in another major and have the opportunity to re-audition during their freshman or sophomore year.
Students applying to the Technical Theatre program must submit a portfolio and students applying to Theatre Studies program must provide a writing supplement outlining their theatre background. These may be submitted in lieu of an audition. Please contact Joe Zumbo to explore these options.
Dance and Theatre Audition Dates
Below is a list of our upcoming 2019-20 on-campus Dance and Theatre Audition dates. Registration is available below.
- Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Saturday, March 21, 2020 (cancelled, new date TBD)
Preparing for Auditions
Faculty and staff will offer auditions at a variety of off-campus locations throughout the year.
- Dancewave Through College and Beyond October 5th and 6th
- SoDanca College Dance Fair January 3rd to January 5th
- Theatre Auditions in conjunction with the Chicago Unifieds February 3rd to February 6th
- National High School Dance Festival February 26th to March 1st
- Regional Dance America/MidStates (Indianapolis, IN) March 8th to 10th
- Regional Dance America/Southwest (Fort Smith, AR) March 26th to 28th (Cancelled by the organizers)
- Regional Dance America/Southeast (Montgomery, AL) April 30th to May 2nd (Cancelled by the organizers)
- Regional Dance America/Northeast (Dayton, OH) May 14th to 16th
Alternative Audition Options
We recognize that it may not be possible for all students to attend an on-campus audition. While completion of the on-campus audition is an expectation for admission to Dean's programs, if this requirement, based on your distance from campus, imposes a hardship on you and your family, please contact us to discuss alternative options.
Please contact Ashley Reed to explore alternative Dance options.
Please contact Joe Zumbo to explore alternative Theatre options.