International Student Application Process

  • The Ideal Place to Begin Your American College Experience

    International students do not have U.S. citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status (Green Card holder). To apply as an international student simply complete the following six steps by the appropriate application deadline:

    Fall (September) Admission
    Regular Decision, March 15 - This is a priority deadline. Applications are welcome and reviewed on a rolling basis thereafter.
    Early Action, December 1 - Apply by December 1 and receive your admissions decision by January 15.

    Spring (January) Admission

    December 1 - International applicants for January entrance should apply by early November to allow time for the admission review and student visa process.

    1. Application Form and Personal Statement

    Apply using Dean's free online application. Dean College is also a member of The Common College ApplicationBe sure the name you provide is the same as in your passport. 

    Our application form includes a brief optional personal statement (essay) but you are welcome to submit it as a separate document. You may write on any topic to demonstrate what you think and how clearly you express yourself.

    2. Transcript (Academic Record)

    Please send us an official copy of your secondary school transcript (in English) showing the courses and grades/marks you received for the most recent 3 to 4 years of schooling. If you have any national examination results, certificates, or diplomas, please send us official copies (in English) as well.

    3. Standardized Test Scores/English Proficiency

    If English is not your first language, please arrange to take either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test and send us your results. (See our International Student FOCUS Program for score information.) The TOEFL destination code for Dean College is 3352.

    The submission of SAT or ACT standardized test scores is optional at Dean. If you believe that your test results are a good reflection of your potential for success, you are welcome to submit them. Dean’s College Board (SAT) code is 3352. Our ACT code 1816. 

    4. Letter(s) of Recommendation (Optional) 

    A letter is optional, but it is a great way to learn more about you. If you are submitting a recommendation a letter from your college counselor or from a teacher who has taught you in an academic subject, such as English, mathematics, science, or social studies is most helpful. You may submit additional letters of recommendation if you wish. 

    In order to expedite the immigration process for an I-20 Form and F-1 student visa, we also require international applicants to submit: 

    5. Passport ID Page

    Please send us a copy of your passport photo ID page so we can confirm the spelling of your name and your date of birth.

    6. Documentation of Financial Support/Certification of Finances

    Because need-based financial aid is limited for international students, U.S. immigration rules require you to submit financial documentation indicating that you and your family or sponsors have sufficient funds to cover one year of college expenses at Dean (currently US $58,000).

    Documenting your financial support can be done in one of two ways:
    • Submit an official bank letter (in English, with a supporting bank account statement) confirming that you have the funds to cover college costs, or
    • Complete the Certification of Finances form.

    Be sure all financial documents are in English, in U.S. Dollars, and officially signed and dated within six months of the start of classes. An I-20 Form will be provided only after you have been accepted, paid the enrollment deposit, and have both your passport ID page and documentation of financial support on file.

    Transfer Students - Foreign Credential Evaluation

    Students may transfer to Dean from other colleges and universities by completing the same 6 application steps listed above PLUS submitting their official transcript of college-level coursework.

    Transfer students who completed college or university courses outside the U.S. must have their transcripts translated in English and credits evaluated by a recognized agency such as World Education Services, the Center for Educational Documentation, or American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

    Note: Please be sure to keep copies of all the documents you submit for admission. You may need to present these documents at the U.S. Embassy when you apply for a student visa or to U.S Customs and Border Protection officials when you enter the United States.

      If you have any questions, please contact Myra Traylor, Coordinator of International Admissions, at or 508-541-1508.


      Take the next Step