Feeling the winter blues? Make a difference in someone’s day and brighten your own with a special act. Random Act of Kindness Week at Dean College begins on February 10. It’s a celebration of kindness where you can have fun being a little extra kind to your fellow classmates. Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas you can use right on campus.
- Make a new friend: Notice someone sitting alone? Ask if you can join them! You might just make a great friend. This works in other gathering areas as well, like the Campus Center.
- Pay it forward coffee: This is a popular one at local coffee drive-throughs, but you can also do this on campus. Is someone in line behind you at the Bulldog Beanery getting a coffee? Put theirs on your tab. The idea is that this random act of kindness will continue down the line.
- Share an invite: Is there someone if your dorm that doesn’t seem to participate much in activities? If you’re headed to a sporting event or to do some off-campus shopping, ask them if they’d like to join! They might just be waiting for the right invitation.
- Give a Compliment: Everyone loves a compliment! Make a game of it and see if you can say one nice thing to someone you don’t know each day of the week.
- Mail a Letter Home: Do you have an older relative or family friend who loves to get mail? Sit down and write them an old-fashioned letter! Maybe you have a long overdue thank you note you need to send to a grandparent. Write to them and let them know all about your life on campus. It may seem like with social media everyone is connected, but a letter is a fun and more personal way to stay in touch, especially with older generations.