Residence Life FAQs

    • + -

      What are the residence halls like?

      Visit our residence halls web page for complete descriptions.
    • + -

      What staff support is available in the buildings?

      There are 12 professional staff members, known as Resident Directors, and 26 student staff members, called Community Mentors and Community Advisors.

      Resident Directors (RD) are live-in staff members. They go through ongoing training to help students address issues such as: adjustment to college, roommate conflict, interpersonal conflict, academic concerns, etc.

      Community Advisors (CA) are student staff members. They are the student resource in the building. They work with students on roommate issues, create programs to help connect students in the residence halls, and act as an overall resource in the buildings to students. They are the first line for students when they have questions about living on campus, or other questions about Dean. 

    • + -

      How do students select their housing?

      First year students and returning students:

      -First year students are placed by the Office of Residence Life based on their responses to questions on the online Housing and Dining Application. The application must be completed online. It consists of a few questions about major, sleep and study habits, likes and dislikes. The Office of Residence Life uses this information to place roommates together. All placements are made after payment in full has been received. Roommate requests are accepted, but cannot be guaranteed. Learn how to complete your housing and dining form.

      -Returning students participate in Housing Selection in April. They have the opportunity to form roommate groups and select their rooms for the fall. Housing Selection is an online process. Students should watch this video and check Today@Dean to learn more about the process.

    • + -

      What if a student requires special accommodations?

      The Office of Residence Life is happy to work with any student who may require an accommodation. These accommodations can be based on a physical, emotional or learning need. The Office of Residence Life has a close relationship with the Accessibility Office and requires certain paperwork to be filled out and completed. 

      Please complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form and return to the Accessibility Services Coordinator.  The form can be faxed to 508-541-1829 or emailed to

    • + -

      How do I become a resident?

      When students deposit to attend Dean they pay a deposit to the College based on whether they will be a resident student or a commuter student. Once you have deposited with the College you will receive your student email and password, along with instructions on how to log onto the housing and dining application.

      Most first year students will live in one of our first year halls. Click here to learn more about them.

    • + -

      What if I want a single room?

      Our single spaces are limited. You may indicate your preference for a single room on the housing application. We recommend that first-year students live with a roommate. It is an important part of becoming an adult; however, if there are circumstances that warrant a single (medical, etc.), you must fill out paperwork and provide supporting documentation with the Office of Disability Services. If you want a single and are not placed in one, you may choose to go on the singles waiting list when you arrive on campus in September. Please note that there is an additional charge for being housed in a single.
    • + -

      What if I submit my housing and dining application and then want to change it?

      If your preferences change, you may update your application online up until early July.
    • + -

      What meal plans are available for me?

      View the Dining Options available to you!
    • + -

      When will I find out my housing assignment and roommate information?

      For students admitted for the Fall Semester assignments will become available on MyHousing at the start of August. For students admitted for the Spring Semester, mid-January. Please note that assignments are not made until the Office of Residence Life receives notification from Financial Services that student bills are paid. Once paid, the assignments are not instant, and may take up to two business days to be posted.

    • + -

      Is there storage available for belongings over the summer?

      The College does not store student belongings, however if you are in need of storage during the summer, Apple Box Storage will drop off boxes, pick them up and deliver your belongings right to your door next Fall. For more information contact

Take the next Step