Unsure about what major to choose? You aren't alone.
Choosing Your Major
Unsure about what major to choose? You aren’t alone. More first year students at Dean choose Undecided over any other major.
Nationally, an estimated 50% of students enter college without having declared a major; 75% of students change their major at least once; and 10% of students change their major twice.
At Dean, we've created a program to help students just like you explore majors in a holistic, dynamic and purposeful manner.
The Map program is a learning community designed to encourage you to learn more about yourself, your goals — and, ultimately, how to become a lifelong learner.
You will work with your Success and Career Advisor to develop specific major exploration skills. Through the use of self-assessments, in-class activities, workshops, faculty and staff mentoring, speakers and campus events, the program will provide you with the tools necessary to select a major that best aligns with who you are and who you want to become.
Your Journey Starts Here
Dean offers a wide variety of resources to help you on your journey to selecting a major. Throughout your journey of selecting your major, you will:
- Enroll in a major/career exploration course
- Complete personal assessments and inventories to examine your strengths and interests
- Experience holistic advising with the Success & Career Advisor for undecided students
- Explore courses that interest you during your first and second semesters
- Attend weekly seminars on major and career exploration
- Think about study away and internship opportunities