Launch your own company, pursue a career in corporate America and build the skills you need to succeed in the rapidly changing business world.
Prepare for some of today’s most flexible and high-powered careers in business.
Dean College offers a bachelor’s degree, associate degree and minor in Business Management. As a Business Management major, you’ll gain valuable insights from business faculty in the Dean R. Sanders ’47 School of Business, who are consultants, business executives and entrepreneurs.
You’ll study essentials of business, such as accounting, finance, economics, marketing and more, as well as unique courses relevant to both your personal and professional life, like personal finance and negotiation skills. You’ll also develop soft skills in leadership, communication and problem-solving, which are invaluable for any professional in today’s world.
The Business Management program pairs theory with practice, and every course has a practical application. With our close-knit community and small class size, you’ll have the opportunity to work on team projects that have real-world applications, consult with local companies and partnerships like the YMCA and Chamber of Commerce, and build valuable relationships as you build your network.
Your coursework will also be supplemented by subjects ranging from math, composition, literature and oral communication to strategic writing and entrepreneurship, with plenty of electives to strengthen your existing business courses or to pursue additional topics of interest.
Dean R. Sanders ’47 School of Business Faculty
Business Management Courses
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|BUS 123||Foundations of Business||3|
|BUS 230||Principles of Management||3|
|BUS 235||Principles of Marketing||3|
|BUS 240||Human Resource Mamangement||3|
|BUS 325||Principles of Finance and Budgeting||3|
|BUS 337||Organizational Behavior||3|
|BUS 341||Data Analysis and Decision Making||3|
|BUS 344||Operations Management||3|
|BUS 405||Leading the Organization||3|
|BUS 495||Business Policy and Strategic Management||3|
|ACCT 103||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 200||Managerial Accounting||3|
|ECO 150||Principles of Economics||3|
|DCA 100||Campus Connections: Making the Transition||1|
|DCA 110||Career Connections: Developing Your Brand||1|
|DCA 200||Internship Connections: Creating Your Plan||1|
|DCA 300||The Internship Experience||3|
|DCA 350||Future Connections: Launching Your Career||3|
|DCA EXPERIENCE ELE||Dean Career Advantage Experience Course||6|
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|ENG 111||Composition l||3|
|ENG 112||Composition ll||3|
|SPC 101||Communication Fundamentals||3|
|BUS 150||Personal Finance||4|
|LAB SCIENCE ELECTIVE||Core Lab Science Elective||4|
|ARTS ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Arts Elective||3|
|NATURAL SCIENCES AND MATH ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Natural Sciences and Mathematics Elective||3|
|HUMANITIES ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Humanities Elective||3|
|PSY 111 OR SOC 113||General Psychology or Introduction to Sociology||3|
|COM 327||Applied Professional Communication||3|
|SOC 355||Consumer Culture||3|
|UDLA ELE||Upper-Division Liberal Arts Electives||6|
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
Beyond the ClassroomDevelop and practice your skills in real-life situations, on campus and beyond.
Every aspect of the Business Management program has an experiential component, so you’ll actively learn by doing every step of the way. You’ll complete at least one internship, which is required by the program, and are encouraged to seek out additional internship opportunities both on campus and in the community. You’ll also work in real-world environments as part of your coursework, executing team consulting projects for local companies seeking viable solutions to real business challenges. Here's what Scott Martin, Bernon Family Branch Executive at the Hockomock Area YMCA in Franklin, had to say about our students:
“The Bernon Family Branch YMCA has benefited greatly from participating in class projects with students in the Business Management program at Dean College. Students provide our senior staff with creative recommendations for business improvements. Their presentations are professionally delivered, to the point that I learned about new software that I now use to present to groups.”
A degree in Business Management will prepare you to successfully transition into graduate school or start your career in a variety of business specialties from accounting, finance, management and human resources to analytics, marketing and advertising. You’ll find Bulldogs working as entrepreneurs leading their own businesses and at corporations and small companies alike, including Citizens Bank, Dell Technologies, Liberty Mutual, Fidelity Investments, Altria and more.
Interested in working on the business side of sports teams, venues and other athletic organizations in particular? Learn more about careers in sports.
Get InvolvedLearn more about how to get involved with student organizations, activities and exclusive learning opportunities.
Business Club Dean College’s student group for Business Management majors.
Internships & Experiential Learning Get hands-on experience through The Center for Business, Entertainment and Sport Management.
Dean Leadership Institute Interact with industry leaders through the Dean Leadership Institute’s dynamic programming.
Uniquely DeanBuild your network through real-world opportunities with the Dean College Business Management program.
- Earn credits through one-week courses instructed by industry leaders such as Accenture, Dell and more.
- S&P Global IQ available to all students and integrated in many courses.
- Experience Leadership in Action presentations given by industry professionals spanning Fortune 100 to start-up companies, including Universal Studios, Citizens Bank and Zeptometrix.
- Attend the annual Dean Leadership Institute Executive Lecture. Past speakers have included Robert Kraft, Bert Jacobs, Jonathan Kraft and senior executives from Microsoft and Nike.
- Serve as a management consultant for local businesses, such as the YMCA and Chamber of Commerce, creating actual strategies to increase sales and brand awareness.
- Intern at venues like the New England Patriots, Five Wits, Patriot Place, Walt Disney World and the Washington Center.
- Tour professional facilities and organizations, such as Gillette Stadium, the New England Revolution Training Center, and Helix Esports at Patriot Place, an esports gaming center and the official practice facility for the Boston Uprising.
- Study abroad in China, Italy, Greece, Ireland, England, France, Spain or beyond.
- Network with industry leaders, gain exclusive learning opportunities and pursue internships through The Center for Business, Entertainment and Sport Management
- Selected students participate in the International Accreditation Council for Business Education's Regional Conference, where they are presented a case and challenged to develop an analysis and suggest potential solutions against other teams.
- Learn from the best. Dean College was ranked #2 in Best Undergraduate Teaching in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report Best Regional Colleges, North category.
Check out the news and stories below to learn more about being a Business Management major at Dean.
Dean Students Win New England Sport Management Case Study Competition
TRANSFORMATION TUESDAY: Q&A WITH JADA F. ’23
Students Perform Market Research for Patriot Place and the MBTA
Students Present Marketing Campaigns to North Attleboro Community Center
HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL SPORTS MARKETING CAREER
Dean Leadership Institute Welcomes Dr. Charles Steinberg, President of the Worcester Red Sox
Business Management Major and Student-Athlete Leverages Skills at Fidelity Investments Internship
DEAN LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE WELCOMES DANIEL CHÁVEZ ’03
DEAN COLLEGE EXTENDS EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP WITH KRAFT SPORTS + ENTERTAINMENT
DEAN LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE WELCOMES ERIC D. LEE, ESQ. ’08
Dean Leadership Institute Welcomes Kelly Mehrtens
Dean College Received IACBE Accreditation
Students in the School of Business Win IACBE Regional Case Study Competition
Dean College Students Participate in Banner Ceremony at the New England Patriots Home Opener