Dean College is committed to the full participation of students in all aspects of college life, including residential experiences.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADAAA) of 2008, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Fair Housing Act amended in 1988, Dean College is dedicated to ensuring that students with disabilities have equal access to residence halls and all of the programs and services offered within them. Dean College has established procedures to ensure that students with documented disabilities have access to reasonable on-campus housing accommodations. Virtually all student needs can be met through the standard room selection process. However, students with conditions whose needs cannot be met through this process may request special housing consideration. The submission of the Housing Accommodation Request Form and supporting documentation does not guarantee a specific request will be granted, but rather, will assist in evaluating accommodations. While every effort is made to honor a student’s location preference, assignments are made based on the approved accommodation(s); specific residential areas are not guaranteed.
Housing Accommodations Request Deadlines
Application Deadline for Academic Year 2023 - 2024:
- Returning Students: March 8, 2023
- Incoming Students: July 11, 2023
Deadlines were established to allow application review and accommodation considerations prior to the general housing selection process. Students are advised to start the process early to allow adequate time to obtain the necessary documentation. Keep in mind that efforts to obtain documentation from a health care provider often require advanced notice and may take several days to several weeks to prepare. Incomplete application materials may delay the eligibility-determination process. Applications submitted after the deadline will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Dean College will strive to meet late applicants’ accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester; however, fewer reasonable accommodation options may be available at later points in the year. Students must request housing accommodations annually.
Note: Disability-related housing needs will take precedence over specific residence hall and/or roommate requests.
Procedures for Requesting Housing Accommodations:
- Complete the Accommodations and Services Intake form
- For students who already have other accommodations or are renewing accommodations: once you are logged in to Accommodate, you will see a list of options on the left-hand side of your screen. Click on “Accommodation” and then from that drop down, choose “Supplemental.”
- Have a licensed clinician most closely associated with your case complete the Housing Accommodations Practitioner Verification Form
- Meet with the Accessibility Services Coordinator to discuss your request after all forms have been submitted.
- The Accessibility Services Coordinator will meet with the Accommodations Review Committee (ARC) and make a determination of whether the request is approved or denied. The ARC may be comprised of representative members from different campus offices if appropriate, such as representatives from Residence Life, Dining Services, Counseling Services, etc. The decision will be communicated to the student via their Dean email account.
- Students must submit their housing accommodation requests by the posted deadlines.
- Students must renew their housing accommodations each year. Previous accommodations are not automatically extended without submitting an updated request. Please be mindful of deadlines.
Typically, central air conditioning is turned off no later than the second week in October and individual air conditioning units are uninstalled at that time. Air conditioning typically resumes around the second week of April.