Prepare for a rewarding career at the forefront of health care with an associate degree in Pre-Nursing from Dean College.
Nurses play a vital role in health care, improving patient outcomes and making lives better every day. An associate degree in Pre-Nursing from Dean College lays the groundwork for a dynamic career in this rewarding profession.
The Pre-Nursing major at Dean prepares you to make a smooth transition to a bachelor’s degree program in nursing. Combining a strong foundation in health sciences with broad-based coursework in the liberal arts, the pre-nursing major focuses on physical, cognitive, psychological and social development throughout the human life cycle.
You’ll study the hard sciences while gaining a foundation in the humanities to understand the contexts in which your future patients live. You’ll use case studies to apply what you’re learning to real-world scenarios, and Dean’s small, close-knit courses will give you hands-on experience starting in your first semester. Your courses will include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Nutrition and Food Science
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|HSCI 111||Introduction to Health Sciences||3|
|BIO 172||Anatomy and Physiology ll||4|
|CHM 151 OR CHM 145||Chemistry l or Chemistry for Healthcare Professions||4|
|ID 230||The Interdependence of Health Professions in the U.S.||4|
|MTH 130||Introductory Statistics||3|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|PSY 202||Human Development: A Lifespan Perspective||3|
|SFL 234||Nutrition and Food Science||3|
|DCA 100||Campus Connections: Making the Transition||1|
|DCA 110||Career Connections: Developing Your Brand||1|
|DCA 200||Internship Connections: Creating Your Plan||1|
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|ENG 111||Composition l||3|
|ENG 112||Composition ll||3|
|SPC 101||Communication Fundamentals||3|
|MATH ELECTIVE||Core Mathematics Elective||3|
|BIO 171||Anatomy and Physiology l||4|
|ARTS ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Arts Elective||3|
|NATURAL SCIENCES AND MATH ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Natural Sciences and Mathematics Elective||3|
|HUMANITIES ELECTIVE||Core Distribution Humanities Elective||3|
|SOC 113||Introduction to Sociology||3|
Beyond the ClassroomAs a Pre-Nursing student at Dean, you’ll engage in learning both in and out of the classroom.
You’ll gain hands-on experience using a synthetic cadaver, participate in student-led activities and learn about health care careers starting in your first semester. You’ll also get the chance to learn from allied health practitioners, who often visit campus to answer questions, offer advice and expand your network.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready to earn a bachelor’s degree and launch a challenging nursing career in hospital nursing, neighborhood clinics, school nursing, public health or beyond. Dean College also offers an outbound articulation agreement for graduates of our associate degree in Pre-Nursing into Regis College’s and Colby-Sawyer College's bachelor's degree in Nursing.
Uniquely DeanDiscover the unique programming that the Dean College Pre-Nursing program has to offer.
- Study the human body by getting hands-on experience with our synthetic cadaver as early as your first semester.
- Learn in small, close-knit classes with support and guidance from faculty who know your interests, learning styles and potential.
- Integrate theoretical learning with real-world experience in the field.
- Hear from allied health practitioners who come to campus to share their experiences and offer career advice.
- Take advantage of our articulation agreement with Regis College’s and Colby-Sawyer College's bachelor’s degree program in Nursing.
- Learn from faculty who are practitioners in their field. Dean College was ranked #5 in Best Undergraduate Teaching in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report Best Regional Colleges, North category.